lazy kind of day

The weather today wasn't all that pretty.  Kind of a gray, cloudy, rain-threatening day.  After working on the computer some, my house guest and I went to lunch at Zaxby's.  Afterward I went to the grocery and bought stuff for dinner.

On the menu tonight was sauteed pork chops, grilled zucchini, corn on the cob and cucumbers in Italian dressing.  For an afternoon snack I fixed a recipe I saw on the Food Network called "glove compartment snack."  It's really easy and very tasty.  Toast 2 cups of walnut pieces and toss with 1 cup of dried cherries.  The cherries are about twice the size of raisins so I like to give them a rough chop to make the pieces smaller.

There you have it, my entire day.  Not real exciting, but it is what it is.  Tomorrow's agenda will hopefully include stopping in to visit with Traci at the scrapbook store!  Missed going there today and cropping with the girls.

Oh, I did join the Facebook craze a couple of days ago.  I don't get how some things work, but perhaps I'll learn eventually.  I have to tell on myself though... when I filled out the personal info about what high school I went to and the year I graduated I seriously couldn't remember what year I graduated!  I started looking at other people who had gone to the same school in that year and I didn't recognize anyone's name!  I had to go find my diploma to verify what year I'd graduated.  My husband and sister got a big laugh of that one!

Brother-in-law is coming in from Kentucky tomorrow evening.  Guess I should get the air mattress inflated and put the sheets on at some point tomorrow. 

That's about it for now.  Hopefully more will be cookin' tomorrow.  I'll keep you posted...


the out-of-towners

We made our way back to Harrisburg safe and sound yesterday.  After unloading the girls and all my scrapbooking supplies I wanted a nap!  We had an early morning storm which made my big dog, Zoe, a nervous wreck.  She kept me up from about 2:00a.m. to 4:00a.m.

But there was no time for napping!  I needed to get to the grocery store or we were'nt eating dinner.  I kept it really simple -- hamburger patties and broccoli slaw.  If you've not tried broccoli slaw, I highly recommend it.  Toss it with Marzetti Original Slaw Dressing and you're good to go. After dinner I went and hung out with my nephews for a short while.

Today I will be getting ready for a buddy of my husband's to visit.  And then on Thursday my bro-in-law from Kentucky will be flying in for the night.  On Friday all the boys will head to the river for a "guy's weekend, no girls allowed."  This is the annual "boy's fishin' trip."

I'm not sure if I'm cooking dinner tonight or not!  I believe our friend's flight doesn't arrive until late so we'll play dinner by ear.  I'm off to prepare the guest room and run some errands.

Thanks for reading.  I'll keep you posted on what's cookin'...


feelin' scrappy...

Following up from Friday, the London Broil dinner was really yummy despite the "quick" marinating time.  Normally I would have it in the marinade for 36 to 48 hours.  This time I only had 24 hours.  But again, it was very yummy and I heard no complaints! I started to make baked beans from scratch but sometimes Bush's does the job just fine.

Saturday, the fishing guide picked up the guys at 8:00 am.  After a few chores I decided it was time to pull out my scrapbooking supplies.  Delima... where to set up my stuff!  I have an enormous island in the kitchen and until I get an official scrap area set up, that's where I've alway envisioned me scrappin'.  It was a gorgeous day and if I sat at the island, my back would be to the windows and the beautiful view.  I remembered we had a folding work table and it would be perfect!  But I currently do not have any traditional "kitchen table chairs" because we don't have a kitchen table!  What we do have is "soccer" chairs!  But these chairs are way too low for this table...time to improvise! Take note of the two pillows in the chair!  With the help of these pillows, I was at a much better height to scrapbook.  The picture doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea of why I worked so hard to position myself in front of these windows!

So after I fussed to get a crop area set up, I only had a couple of hours to play before it was time to start dinner!  Late afternoon a couple of the neighbors stopped by for a tour of the house and after they left I cleaned up and rearranged.  I'll consider this a trial run.

For dinner, it was requested that I fix Country Style Steak with rice and squash casserole.  David says I should make this my "signature dish."  Maybe I should since it seems this is all I ever report cooking on this blog! 

Like previous nights, after dinner we sat around the firepit before calling it a night.  While sitting there, however, I got to talking to Gerald, a friend of ours and a fine furniture builder, and he suggested that he could build me a custom scrap "nook"/cabinet!  I'm so excited!  Gerald has already built us a writing desk and a beautiful harvest table. I will post pictures of both the pieces he's already built when I get some.

Gerald and Jack left this morning after David cook bacon & eggs for breakfast.  He's the breakfast cook.  While I can do it, why deprive him? After those guys left we started doing chores... David stained & installed some shelves in the guest bedroom closets, I did laundry, we made a Lowes HI & Walmart run and that about catches us up for now.

We are both headed home tomorrow morning.  David will be going straight to work from here & I will be taking the dogs home.  Thanks for checking in and reading!  I'll keep you posted on what's cookin'...



it's time for ketchup...

Ok, that was bad!  Especially since nothing has involved ketchup since my last post.  But it is time that we get caught up so here we go.

As previously stated, on Saturday the 18th Amy and I worked at the store.  Afterward I finished preparing my mom's birthday dinner.  This year she chose Pot Roast with Carrots and Potatoes.  Normally I would put everything in the same pot at varying times and let it simmer on the stove for hours.  But I had to revert to the crockpot this time since I wasn't going to be home. I didn't want my potatoes to turn to mush so I cooked them separately after I got home.  The meat was so tender it fell apart when I took it out of the crockpot.  Looks a little like barbeque!  The picture may not be pretty but I got no complaints on how it tasted.  Thank you Jeff for plating the food!

The next morning David and I decided to make a quick run to the river to drop off a cedar chest that his grandfather had built at some time in his life.  It's been in my sis-in-law's storage room since he passed away and needed a good home. I'm not sure it's found it's permanent place in the Gorilla, but for now it is in the loft/office area. I was originally going to use it as storage/coffee table in one of the spare bedrooms but it's a little to tall for the sleep sofas. 

Since Dad's days off are Sunday & Monday, they decided to join us on this quick run.  I'm glad they meant I didn't have to help David get that cedar chest up the two flights of stairs!  We had a good dinner that evening.  After David drug Dad to Lowes HI, they stopped at the grocery store and bought pork chops, salad fixin's and some frozen mixed veggies.  I prepared the salads and seasoned the chops then David grilled them on our stove's "char-griller."  After dinner we sat around the fire pit until we couldn't stand the bugs any longer!

Monday morning David went straight to work and after a few chores, mom, dad and I headed back to the big city.

Tuesday was spent running errands, taking the dogs to the vet for routine vaccines, laundry, cleaning, etc.  Pretty boring stuff.

Wednesday I packed up my scrapbooking supplies and the dogs and headed back to the river.  The dogs did a little better this time than last.  Perhaps next time we come up they will have caught on that Villa Gorilla is their house too! Since I didn't arrive until 5:00, I didn't do much that evening.

Thursday I woke up bright and early to a very foggy river.  (I didn't think to take pictures!)  The fog cleared just before my mom and her friend arrived.  They were on their way to Ohio to a dog show.  Her friend has a champion black lab.  After they left I finished making my list and headed to Walmart & the grocery store. David arrived right around 6:00 and we had a lovely evening.  I used my convection option on my oven for the first time and cooked a couple of bone-in chicken breasts. Turned out nice.

Well, we're caught up to today, Friday.  David has a couple of skeet buddies coming in today and they're going fishing tomorrow.  On the menu tonight is London Broil that I've been marinating since yesterday, cole slaw, baked beans and rolls.

I'll let you know how things go and keep you posted on what's cookin'...


july 15 already?

How can it possibly be July 15th already?  Where have the first 6-1/2 months gone?

The last three days, for me, have gone to volunteering at Vacation Bible School at Harrisburg United Methodist Church.  I will be honest and say that I had other ideas for this week and volunteering for VBS wasn't on the list!  I volunteered last year and wasn't sure it was my "thing", but they were in desperate need of volunteers so I caved. And in the grand scheme of things, the other ideas for the week that I had weren't really all that important...

Anyway, I'm happy I have gotten involved.  I have been a "floater" and helping where needed so I've gotten to experience different things and different aged children.  Thursday will be my last day helping with VBS.  Friday I will be working at the scrapbook store for Traci and her family to take a few days off.  Saturday, Amy & I will be working together at the store. We're trying to organize an all day crop.  I'm considering making some snacks.

Coming up is Mom's birthday dinner on Sunday, July 18.  Her actual birthday is on Wednesday the 22nd, but it works better for everyone to have "family night/birthday dinner" on the Sunday prior.  The tradition is to tell me what you want and that's the menu for the evening.  She's not told me what's on the menu as of this post...

That's about all for now.  Thanks for reading & I'll keep you posted on what's cookin'!